In my childhood backyard, squirrels were cute, frisky fellows that were welcome to grab the acorns and race each other up and around the maple tree. The minute they stole from the bird feeders, everything changed. They became my dad’s enemies. As a U.S. Army veteran he turned to war mode and he became obsessed. (My dad was the inspiration for the Squirrel Poll — don’t forget to vote “friend” or “foe” below.) He employed a series of squirrel-proof bird feeders with no success. Various sorts of mounting methods were trialed; the squirrels were victorious. He duct taped over the openings where the seeds came out so only bird beaks could fit; the squirrels chewed it off. He mounted a bird feeder on a separate pole away from the vicinity of the tree branches; the squirrels would sky dive to it. He covered the top of the feeder to deter them from landing; unsuccessful. Fortunately, dad wasn’t the type to want squirrels removed from the face of the earth — he just wanted them off his bird feeders. He then decided to grease the pole and achieved a measure of success. We had lots of laughs watching the squirrels slip off as they tried to climb the pole. Only some reached the sunflower seed prize. How about you? Click Comment and tell us about your squirrel experiences.
Advertisement Notice:Any ads that may appear on this blog are placed by Wordpress; the ads are NOT endorsed by or selected by Nature in the Burbs.
Flickr Photos from Nature in the Burbs
- RT @washingtonpost: Wind farms might be killing many more bats than we realize wapo.st/2fUIfm9 6 months ago
- RT @audubonsociety: The little Common Swift is the new record holder for longest uninterrupted flight. ow.ly/L7Qv305WRM0 https://t.co… 6 months ago
- RT @LensReality: Weather in NJ & NY looks great for tonight's full #Supermoon & #HuntersMoon. Best viewing time just after sunset: https://… 7 months ago
- RT @LowerRaritan: Another beautiful bit of writing (and fab photography!) by Joe Mish on owls in the Lower Raritan Watershed: https://t.co/… 1 year ago
- 7 facts about tent caterpillars and why they're all over N.J. this spring s.nj.com/geRivfI 1 year ago
- 2 cars, 125 tires and a pool liner found in North Branch of Raritan River s.nj.com/KTP0PTU 1 year ago